Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Whats in a Name !!!!

It has been quite a while since I've blogged. It's not that I haven't wanted to blog but that I have found myself to be extremely busy with my life. I've been in the process of remodeling, my girls are so busy with school, dance and life that I haven't yet caught my breath.
I thought I'd finally sit down and just take a minute to give my blog some TLC.
Today's subject I'll talk on is "Whats in a name?"
A while back I taught a lesson on names. I wore a cute badge with my name on it. The kids laughed, they were like " we already know who you are mom". Then I had them make there own badge too and introduce themselves, they giggled about that.
Then we played a game, I told them I would say a name and they would each tell me 2 things that they first thought about when I said that persons name.
We have a very close family on my side so I named off some of their aunts, uncles and cousins. It was so funny to hear what each of my children thought about when I named that person. I asked them what they thought of when I said the name "Mama" (for their grandma) and my youngest shouted out "fashion Diva!!" it was so cute. And then my oldest said she thinks of the sweetest most nicest most loving grandma in the world.
Then I asked them what they thought of when I mentioned one of there boy cousins and my youngest yelled "cry baby" then my oldest said a "brother from another mother". It was so fun to see all the different things they thought of.
I used names of family and friends and sometimes the kids had good things to say and some times they had bad things to say such as a person being to loud, or driving them nuts.
The game was fun, until I asked them what they think other people might think of when they hear of your name?
All of a sudden the laughter turned into concern, my youngest looked at me with a serious face and said" I think they might think I talk to much". My oldest said "people might think I'm a spoiled brat".
It was so funny to see how they finally got the point of the lesson. Because they were quick to answer about others but nervous when it came to them.
I took that moment as a teaching moment. We named maybe 2 or 3 things that people might see negative in each of my children and things that they needed improvement on. Such as being a little more reverent, humble or not talking so much and try listening more. Also Being a little more helpful around the house and being a peacemaker.
Then I named 3 good things that I think of when I hear each of their names. And it brought smiles to their faces and made them want to be more like what I had said.
I then taught them how when we are baptized we take upon us the name of Jesus Christ. And asked them what they think of when they hear the name Jesus.
I explained that it is important for us to always represent ourselves as good examples because we have upon us the name of Christ. I also explained that it is important for us to also take our family names we have been given and represent our parents by being kind, reverent and loving people.
That even their own individually names will define who they are and will be remembered as good or bad. We should always honor our name, our family names, and the name of Jesus Christ. And honor him and be like him in all we do.
As a child I have the same scriptures that my mom raised me up with, and had me mark. I will always cherish it and remember the markings. I came across a particular scripture that my mom had given a lesson on and had us mark it. And always remembered it not only in my book of Mormon but it was implanted in my brain when ever I thought of my name"

Helaman 5:6
............when you remember your names ye may remember them, and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good.

Teaching our children to understand the importance of their name will help them honor their name more it will help them understand how important they are as a son/ daughter of God. And teach them to learn to love and respect their name and also honor their parents with their last name and be prepared to honor the name of Christ.
I feel their are to many kids and parents who don't understand that their family name can carry good or bad and reflect their entire family by their actions and examples. My background is Tongan and in my culture you are known by your surnames. Your family is identified by just a last name. So by that name you carry you can can bring respect or shame to your family.
By practicing and living this way you and your children will learn the importance of carrying the greatest name you will ever have. And that is to take upon you the name of "Jesus Christ". If you teach your children to respect and honor their own names and surnames than you can also expect them to respect and honor the name of Christ.
May we teach our children to bring honor to their names and to learn to love them and use them for good. To use their names the way that Christ would want them too. And to understand how important they are and how there name is known by Christ and he knows them individually and loves them.

lesson ideas from the primary 3 manual lesson 1.

2 comments:

  1. I think I will use this as a Family Home Evening idea. It looks easy but very meaningful and memorable. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, your kids will Love it!!

    ReplyDelete